Wednesday, January 11, 2012

American History Revisited


Since my main focus for this year is American History, I am trying to inject important lessons throughout the year in various formats. I bought The Founding of America (History Channel series), at Costco ($40 as opposed to $65 online!) and had the boys start watching the first video a few days ago. I have them pause the movie and give me an oral report on what they are learning every so often. It's a great series and I am working on lesson plans and worksheets to go with it. The History Channel has an "History In the Classroom" area that spotlights lesson plans and gives ideas on incorporating some of their programming into the classroom.

We are continuing to study the Constitution and it's importance, not just in history, but it's relevance today. With MLK Jr. Day coming up (not a holiday but learning day in our house), we are focusing on inalienable rights and why they are important. I am reading through this lesson plan, "Documenting Democracy" and working on some projects I hope to share soon.

So, if you are like me, and don't think certain holidays should be used as a vacation from learning, but a point of interest in the learning process, take advantage of the upcoming MLK Jr. Day and teach your children about the rights we all have as human beings: The right to LIFE, LIBERTY and PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS regardless of age, sex, or race!

No comments: