Friday, August 12, 2011

New Beginnings


This year has been filled with new beginnings for our family. A new life really. We moved from Alaska to Montana, after accepting an offer to move down and revive the old family farm. My husband went from being a commercial fisherman in southeast Alaska, to a small organic farmer in Montana. So far we only have chickens and a garden, but will be adding cows at some point and are considering pigs, rabbits and possibly alpacas.

Along with the farming, we decided to home school our two oldest boys. We asked them if they wanted to, and I was surprised at first by their enthusiasm. There were some not so great experiences with public school (though the very wonderful ones made them bearable). We know we can teach our children to be more honorable men than the public school system can. That is coupled with an increasing distrust for our government and it's enabling programs.

So, this will be a chronicle of the various things I glean from the web and how I implement the curriculum I've chosen. I'll share our progress in the hopes of encouraging others. This is not a new idea, and with the increasingly vacuous and selfish nature of our society, it is necessary to raise responsible and respectful children. Wish me luck! I am excited and nervous at the same time.

Deuteronomy 6:5-7

"5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. 6 And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up."


No comments: